Jesus + Family + Food = Life

Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

31 Pins: Day 8

Day 8


We had been thawing out some chicken legs for a couple of days and needed to eat them today.  Usually we will grill them with some garlic salt (yum), but I was in the mood for fried chicken.  I did some searching and found some KFC copy cat recipes, but they seemed a little bit too involved for me...and included MSG, which did not sound appetizing.  So, I stuck with my blogging buddies on this one and made a few adjustments of my own. :)

Original pins:


These two recipes seemed easy and sounded good.  They both inspired my recipe.



6 chicken legs (or whatever you have)

Dry Ingredients: 
6 Ritz crackers, crushed
1 cup flour (use self-rising or add 1 tsp. baking powder, I forgot this step)
1-2 tsp salt (I added 1, but Josh added one more just in case) :p
1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp season salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Crush the crackers in a baggie, and then add the rest of the dry ingredients to the bag to be mixed around.  You can potentially use this bag to shake the chicken, or dredge in a shallow bowl.

Wet ingredients:
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Whisk together in a dish large enough to dredge chicken.

Skillet with 1/2 inch canola oil

Instructions:
  1. The copy cat site suggested soaking the chicken in salt water for an hour, and I am pretty sure my husband did this (he cooked it for me while I was at a church meeting). :D  Drain on paper towels.  
  2. Dredge or shake in dry mixture.
  3. Dredge in wet mixture.
  4. Dredge or shake in dry mixture again.
  5. Fry in oil (medium heat) for 15 minutes on each side or until cooked through.

The results:

It was REALLY GOOD!  The coating was crispy and did not fall off (like mine usually does when I pan fry).  The chicken was juicy and the coating was perfectly spiced.  Guess that extra tsp. of salt did the trick. ;)  If you like fried chicken and aren't on a diet, you should try this!

Expense rating: minimal (bought the chicken for gas points at Giant)
Difficulty rating: moderate

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...