Jesus + Family + Food = Life

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Home Made Hand Soap

What Initially Inspired me to make handsoap?  Well, it was a nice visit with my friend, Erin (& hubby).  She mentioned how easy it was, and I couldn't get it out of my mind... had to try it out.
Went to Walmart the other day with the intention of buying some Tom's of Maine soap (with a coupon, of course), but they didn't have any. :(  In any case, I picked up one of the cheapest I could find, which ended up being Ivory.  While there, I also picked up a bottle of glycerin (first aid section).
I used an old cheese grater to shave the bars down - easier for melting. 

The recipe I found called for:
10 cups of water
1 cup of soap shavings
2 Tablespoons of glycerin
(that's it)


I put all of those ingredients into an old pot to melt.  No need to boil, just heat so that all of the shavings are dissolved.  I also added some tea tree oil (which has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, etc. qualities) which I had on hand.
Then you remove from heat and let set for 8-10 hours (overnight, whatever).  It will get cloudier and thicker as it stands.
Then use a funnel to get it into soap dispensers (use empties or I found some for $1.88 at walmart with designs).

It doesn't foam up quite as much as what you buy in the store, but I know my hands are clean and moist after use. :)

Great for people on a budget! Thanks, Erin!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...